DIY: Lace Up Tailgate T-Shirt
It's football season everyone! And whether you go a big football school, or one that is pretty bad like me, you need the perfect outfit. I have been seeing lace up t-shirts everywhere just in general, but especially for sporting events. They are so cute and trendy right now, so I looked everywhere to find one for my school...
...and I couldn't! Also, lace up tailgate t's retail for around $50, which is crazy! Like, come on. It's a t-shirt. SO, I knew I had to make one! Here are some pictures I found online that I used for inspiration (click on the right).
These look hard to make right? That's what I thought too! But after trying it out, I learned that it is super easy! I even threw in my needle and thread for my glue gun to up the easy factor and save time.
Here are the materials you need:
- Grommet Tape
- Black Cord (or you can get this kit here that I used)
- Hot Glue
- Hot Glue Gun (or needle and thread)
- Permanent Marker
- Take your Sharpie and ruler to mark where you are going to make your V cut. Remember that you are keeping the collar intact.
2. Now that you have marked your V, cut it out with your scissors, leaving the collar and not cutting it. This is what it should look like when you're done:
3. Take your grommet trim and line it up along the V, so that you know how much of the trim you need to cut. Make sure that you are placing the trim so that some of it hangs off the side and not all on the t-shirt. This way you will be able to fit the string into the grommets to lace up the t-shirt at the end.
4. Glue into place with your glue gun! Or if you like to sew you can opt out of using a glue gun and you could sew here. Fabric glue is also an option!
5. Time to lace it up! Take your black cord and start at the top of the shirt. Once you put the cord in, you will alternate the side that you put your chord into the grommets.
6. Once you get to the bottom of the V, take both sides of the cord and bring them under the t-shirt. Take both ends and tie a knot. Cut off the excess cord.
You're done! You now have the perfect tailgate T that was super easy to make an inexpensive!
I am so excited to wear mine next weekend to Homecoming! What do you think? Leave me a comment down below!